Monday, June 25, 2007

Heading to Appleton

No Mewithoutyou tonight... sad day.

But, I may be volunteering at the Basillica Block Party in a couple of weeks...so that could be fun.

We went to that heavy metal church yesterday, New Hope Baptist. It was an really good experience. For one, I don't think I would ever find that in Texas. I mean, we sang Nothing But the Blood of Jesus scream-o style. Well, when I say "we" I mean "they." Because I definitly did not scream. But this church reached out to people that probably would have never otherwise stepped in church. A couple of people gave testimonies, and it was so neat to see how God had worked in their lives through this church. Just made me think...what if a church did worship to rap? How awesome would that be?

Tomorrow, we are heading to Appleton, Minnesota. It is a very small town in rural western Minnesota. There, we will be doing church survey work. And in a very weird and nerdy way, I am looking forward to it. I am excited about hearing what people have to say about church. I think it should be a very interesting and enlightening week. We will be with another girl (YAY!), Katie, and another guy, which I have no idea who he is.

So I have been thinking a lot lately, even talking to some pretty knowledgeable people about this... what exactly IS a disciple? On Saturday, at the leadership conference, the speaker basically said that every Christian is a disciple. Almost like they are synonymous words. But I have talked with people since that disagree, saying that not all Christians are disciples. Some think that to be a disciple, you must be taking part in such things like going to church, doing the Great Commission. And don't get me wrong, I do believe that those are important and worthy things to do. But is THAT what makes you a disciple? I mean, does Scripture say that? Does Scripture say at all what a disciple is? I am just wrestling with this whole idea and what exactly it means to be a disciple.

No comments: