Saturday, June 23, 2007

a bit of a rant

So our root beer floats/fruit smoothies/movie night last night didn't fly so well. But it gave me a good opportunity to sit outside in the cool weather, read a bit and talk to some folks. I was even able to talk to Bob for a bit about a lot of things. We talked about what I had read lately, what I want to do when I graduate, my dreams of doing some sort of ministry work, my heart for social justice, etc. Quality conversation.

This weekend, we are staying with Aubrey and Deanna.. YAY! We had a leadership development conference with a professor form Dallas Thelogical Seminary at the church all day today. It was really good information, just a LOT of it in a short amount of time.

Found out that Mewithoutyou is playing here in the Twin Cities on Monday.... think I may try to be in attendance. Looks like (go figure) I will be going by myself, but that's cool. I think the boys are a little intimidated by the bus system... I figure I will get there eventually.


So one of the books I read this past week was The Barbarian Way, by Erwin McManeus. I highly recommend it. But in it, it talked about how John the Baptist was a true Barbarian. Obviously, his fashion sense and taste for food were a bit different...but the way he lived his life was admirable.

I mean, he baptized Jesus, saw the Holy Spirit descend on Him, and heard God speak from above. Later, John was in jail, waiting to be killed. And he sent word to Jesus to ask, "Are you the Messiah? Are you the one who was sent?" HE FREAKING SAW THE HOLY SPIRIT AND HEARD GOD SPEAK! But he still questioned. I believe that he thought that if Jesus was who He said He was, He would help a brotha out and bust him outta jail! WORD! See, we often think that "the center of God's will is the safest place to be." But is that true? I admit, I said those exact words before I left for Minneapolis, but then I look at people in Scripture like John, Paul, oh heck, most of Jesus' disciples. They all died a martyr's death. Were they not in the center of God's will? I mean, call me crazy, but if dying can't be the "safest place."

(Mom, you may want to stop reading now...for your own benefit:) )
Though I highly doubt that it will come to this up here in Minneapolis, but I HAVE to be willing to die for Christ. Because the safest place to be is NOT in God's will. Many people, both in Scripture and in modern times have died for His name, and I have be willing to do the same.

No comments: