Thursday, June 21, 2007

Clinging to Him

It's official... the lovely Katie McGowan confirmed it for me... I am experiencing culture shock.

I am terribly lonely up here. I can't seem to REALLY connect with anyone. People here are so completely different than they are back home. I mean, I knew I lived in the Bible Belt, but I guess I didn't realize what all that meant. It's not that it's bad up here, really. It's just so different than what I am used to. I spend most of my days all by myself, which gets old, quick. I have my own little adventures (which I will get to later), but by 10 o clock at night, I am in my closet of a room, lying in bed, bored out of my mind. Yesterday, we had absolutely NOTHING to do, so I called good ol Maribeth, who looked up a local library for me. She said the map said it was only two miles away. WRONG!! That stupid library was AN HOUR'S WALK AWAY!!! I walked all that way to spend a nice relaxing afternoon reading, and then of course, Wednesday is the day the library closes early. So I was only there for 2 hours before having to walk an hour back! Though I didn't think so at the time, I look now and it is comical. But I have realized, I REALLY gotta learn the transit system here. Shoot... this sista will ride the bus.

The only person I really talk to here is Tony (who is actually from Croatia, not Russia..whoops) He is at the coffee shop pretty much everyday. So I get quality interaction with someone for about an hour and a half a day...other than that... it's just me.

I am beginning to think that maybe this is a God thing that I am all alone. I mean, normally, I HATE being alone. I avoid it at all costs. I am sure there are all kinds of reasons as to why. And God knows that. So He put me in a situation where I am FORCED to be alone...where I am forced to sit and listen to Him, and cling to only Him.

Just last night, I was laying in bed, around 10:30, desperately trying to go to sleep. And I couldn't. Next thing I know, I am bawling my eyes out. (I am hoping the people who live in the rooms around me weren't home) I was so unbelievably frustrated...with always being alone, with having no direction, with simply not knowing what God is doing this summer. I opened up to Psalms and found relief in 25:16-18
Turn to me and be gracious to me, For I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged; Bring me out of my distresses. Look upon my affliction and my trouble, And forgive all my sins.

I just prayed over that verse over and over. I think I eventually wore myself out that I passed out. But I woke up this morning with a renewed mind..a new spirit. I still have no direction, I am still all alone... But something is different.

P.S.
All you that like to tease me for reading so much will be happy to know that I have already read ALL of my books I brought with me. In just a week and a half, I have read 8 books...I am all out, which just adds to the frustration.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hang in there! Jn. 15 will become one of your best friends. :) You are being molded..into what...that is yet to be seen...but it is going to be good, real good!

Can't believe my name is in your blog..i feel famous...well..sort of..!

Praying for God to place people in your path tomorrow that can only be explained by HIM!! Praying and Journeying with you!!

Anonymous said...

I promise the mapquest directions said it was 2.24 miles!!!

You're doing great! I love you