Friday, March 30, 2007

definition of a Christian??

After talking to Landon for a bit today, as what usually happens after a good conversation with him, I was left with a lot to think about. So this is what's on my mind...

Christian...in simplest terms..what does it mean? By saying that you are a Christian, believer, or whatever term you choose to use, what is it that you are saying?

I think many people, both believers and non-believers, think that by claiming yourself to be a Christian, you are taking a stand on every issue out there. For example, by saying you are a Christian, many would assume you are saying you are against homosexuality, or alcohol, or a number of other things. But is that what you are saying?

I know that when I bring up my faith in Christ, I am not saying anything other than I accept the grace that Christ offers me.

With that said, it is okay in my books if not all believers feel the same about all issues. That's what makes us unique, true? Too often it turns into an "us vs. them" rhetoric between brothers and sisters in Christ. Is that really necessary? Can't we all just take comfort in the fact that we all believe in the same Christ and the grace that He offers? Is that not enough?

1 comment:

David said...

The term Christian means "follower of Christ" or "little Christ." Therefore, it is up to us who call ourselves Christians to live up to the definition. Either we are following Christ in our actions and attitudes or we are not. It doesn't mean we may not mess up from time to time, but someone who is truly following and mimicking Jesus Christ who does fall will get up without a fuss, dust his or her clothes off and press forward again.

This resilience is important, because even though it seemed to his followers that Jesus had failed when the world killed and buried him, he just got back up three days later.

And I do believe that calling ourselves Christians does mean we will come out on the same side of the issues. Just not in the way that has been done by today's Church. If we are following Christ we're going to begin assuming his perspective, not the one we've left behind. We all come from different backgrounds, and we all have a nasty habit of bringing along baggage from our former idols(selves).

Ultimately it boils down to a choice: Am I going to challenge myself to see things the way Christ saw them and sees them--or am I going to hold onto the dead way of doing things?