Thursday, April 05, 2007

Respect your elders

Today, I was standing outside the BSM when a precious elderly woman pulls up in her boat of a car. As the window rolls down, she leans over and asks if I know where a particular street is. Apparently, there was one heck of a garage sale on North Pecan street. Unforunately, I did not know where this particular festivity was. So the lovely old woman was on her way, setting out to find this haven.

Thirty minutes later, I am sitting next to her at the light at North street. As we sit there for a few minutes, I just watch her and let my mind wander. She is talking to herself, but I can't quite make out what she is saying. Then, she starts examining her manicured nails, probably evaluating when she should go in for a fill.

As the light changes and we go our seperate ways, I start to wander....what will I be like when I am old? I think alot of times, we imagine ourselves as young marrieds, maybe kids, living it up as "grown ups." But who sits back and thinks about being 70 years old?

I wander if, at the appropriate time, I will take the first step into "mature living" and start driving a Cadillac or Grand Marquis. Of course, it will be a nice champagne or white color...something neutral and earth toned. Most likely, I will also have a short hair cut...permed...maintained with a nice teasing and hairspray between the weekly visits to my "beautician."

It's something to think about... what you will be like in a few decades....

No comments: