Monday, July 20, 2009

While in Vienna, I had the most interesting opportunity I have EVER had to share about the grace that Christ offers.

Klaudia, our new friend who translated for us during the first week of camp, had my team over for dinner one evening towards the end of our stay in Austria. I knew a little of Klaudia's story, that she had grown up in the Catholic church (as most do in Austria). It was just a few years ago when someone explained to her what a relationship with Christ is about. Since then, she has turned her life over to the Lord. Her husband, Michael, was also raised in the Catholic church, but is still unsure about an actual relationship with Christ.

After dinner, we were sitting in their living room just chatting. Klaudia turned to me and said, "I have a question. I told Michael I would ask this."

I froze. I had no idea what it could possibly be. Questions and doubts about the Bible, Christ, Hell, and everything in between ran through my mind.

What came next was never expected.

"The death penalty... "

Wait... did she just bring up the death penalty?

I DEFINITELY wasn't prepared for this.

"In Europe, that may the most common idea of Texas, that you issue the death penalty. It has been outlawed here for quite some time. What do you think about it? How can a 'Christian' nation advocate this, especially in the 'Bible belt?"

WHOA...

I had to take a second and think about it. I didn't stop to contemplate my view on this touchy subject, but more so on who was listening. There was Klaudia, a well-educated woman fairly new in Christ. I had my team of five girls, all Texans (or close to it) who were, for the most part, just as shocked as I was at the topic. And there was also Michael, quietly listening in the back.

How can I say this without stepping on toes? I am completely confident that the Lord took over. I had an immediate peace and words just came.

I think I said something like this... "You are right in that most Texans support the death penalty. In fact, that is how I was raised. I am pretty sure that everyone else in my family still supports it. Heck, when I was a freshmen in college (in my naiveity) I did a speech in a class on the reasons to support the death penalty. But now, I do NOT support the death penalty."

You should have seen the looks on the faces of everyone in the room.

I continued. "It wasn't until just a couple of years ago that I really started to think about it. And it was only when it was put in my face and I was forced to read about it in the Scriptures and in various other books. You see, in Texas, we aren't taught that most other civilized countries have abolished this practice. I didn't know this until recently, when I found it for myself."

I proceeded to make the bold statement that it is my personal belief that if Jesus were here today, he wouldn't support the death penalty. I can't help but think of John 8, when the Pharisees and scribes brought a woman who was caught in adultery to Jesus. Jewish law said that this woman should be stoned to death. But Jesus replied with "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Jesus took a situation that CALLED FOR the death penalty and showed his grace.

I was able to share about what grace is, and how it has affected me.

I also had to admit that if it were my loved one that had been killed by a murderer, the thought would probably cross my mind that this person should be put on death row. But what good would that do? Would it really make me feel better knowing that another person has died? Would I be exuding the love and grace of Christ?

The evening wrapped up and we all went our seperate ways. But this instance keeps coming back to mind. I repeat my words (what I can remember) in my head over and over throughout the day. And I can't think of any part of it that the Lord wasn't a part of.

I pray that this plants a seed. Not just in Michael, as he continues searching, but in all that were there. I pray that we would all continue to search Scripture and hold it up to our lives, to see if we are truly living it out, or if we are just talking about it.

1 comment:

Klaudia & Michael said...

Wow!! Thank you for sharing this!