Friday, July 31, 2009

I had a bit of a personal revelation the other day.

I'm not going to lie.... it's been a bit of a rough year. I feel like things have been a constant rollercoaster. It is even more difficult when OTHER people make comments like, "You know, you really have had a crappy hand lately," or "Don't you just wish God would let up a bit?"

My gut instinct... YES!! Yes it has been kinda hard...YES I do sometimes wish God would let up.

But that's when my "AH-HA" moment came to me.

It's so easy to think that we somehow DESERVE to have it easy or good for a bit of time. I have cried out to the Lord before, begging for life to be easy before. But then I realized, what would be a sufficient amount of time for things to be good? At what point would I be able to turn to God and say, "Ok...you have given me what I deserve. NOW you can give me the tough stuff."

Let's say I thought I deserved six months of an easy life. And after that six months, God threw some curve balls my way. After I made it through that, I would probably ask God for more "easy time" next time. Maybe I would think I deserved eight months.

I am pretty sure that my selfish nature would cause me to keep asking for more time...no...asking is too nice... I would keep DEMANDING more "easy" time.

What gives us the audacity to think we DESERVE an easy life? Where do I come off thinking that?

I have been wrestling with this thought process for the past week.... just thought I'd share.

1 comment:

Liz C said...

its funny that you post this...
i've been struggling with the same thoughts.
I've had a rough what seems like almost 2 years emotionally and spiritually speaking.

to give a fresh perspective:
I think we like to blame God for what goes on sometimes...because he's in control and he's an easy target. It's much harder to look at this world and this life and realize that there is evil that is not of God, and that its here to make life hard. Sounds harsh, right? But if you think about it, this life as a follower is friggin hard...they somehow left that part out in sunday school growing up. Somewhere along the way it has become about the number of souls that get into heaven rather than the quality, strength and foundation of those that choose to answer the call. I think if we as believers were shedding some light on what this life really is: that it is hard and dirty and broken, but at the same time a life of healing and mercy and strength, we would be better off.

the easy part doesnt come when we earn enough gold stars or fight the hard battle...it comes (at least in my experience) from someone else building me up, or a refreshing word of encouragement when someone holds you when you weep.
There is joy to be had in this life, but it doesnt always mean we have nothing but joy...its usually paired with something painful. Maybe its to remind us that this world isn't perfect, but our future is.
I don't know honestly...and it sucks. believe me, I know.

But, over the miles and several states I'm here and know that you are loved, and that someone shares your "really jesus?" feeling.