Saturday, July 18, 2009

Where have the past two weeks gone? This time tomorrow, I will be a few hours away from touching down in Dallas!

This week was a rough one! To say the kids were different from last week would be a TOTAL understatement. I ended up having to enforce a 'special friend' rule. If they said an inappropriate word or repeatedly disobeyed, they became my special friend for a bit. I would find a chore or something for them to do while everyone else continued with the program. It worked pretty well until the last day, when they actually ENJOYED being my special friend...fail.

I would definitely say the highlight of the week was on Wednesday evening at Lobau Park. Don't get me wrong...it was pretty miserable for the most part. It was INSANELY hot and the mosquitos were the worst I have ever seen! The kids were whining and I can't blame them...we were too! After dinner, it started pouring. We huddled all the kids in a teepee with a fire in the middle. I rallied my team of girls together and told them to LOOK ALIVE! It obviously was not the ideal situation, but we have to pretend like this was the plan all along. We had no idea how long we would be in that cramped teepee, but we were going to act like it was the night of our lives. And I think at some point, at least for me, it started to become just that.

We sang silly songs, told (funny) scary stories, and had an on-the-spot talent show! (I would point at someone, telling them that they are 'up next!'

I felt like that was night that we really connected with the kids. It reminded me that God uses any situation to bring him glory.

So we leave tomorrow...which is sad! I have met some INCREDIBLE people here (more on that later).

No comments: