Saturday, October 28, 2006

Unnecessary Umbrella

Anyone that lives in Nacogdoches knows of the horrible downpour we had for a couple of days this week.

After a class one day, I walked out of the building and without eve thinking, opened up my umbrella with the assumption that it was still raining. After about ten minutes of walking, I realized that nope, it wasn't raining. How embarrassing! I shamefully put up my umbrella, hoping noone had seen me and thought I was the "special kid..."

Then I started thinking... How often do I "put up my umbrella" too quickly? How much do I protect myself from? What am I missing out on while hiding under my "umbrella?"

Considering this past weeks events and the most-horrible-day-ever that fell somewhere in there, I couldn't help but feel like I am over-protected. I had always known that my parents are pretty over-protective, but the thought had never crossed my mind that I am actually over-protective of myself. Is this how God intended it? I feel like I am missing out on somethings.

So I am making a vow...to step out... unprotected...live it up. But I won't lie, I will probably ALWAYS have my "umbrella" not far behind.

1 comment:

katy said...

i think the proper use of the umbrella is key. immense amounts of rain are easily preventable, but..sadly, you're right...the sun is blocked out as well.

good thoughts. deep, friend. deeeep.