Tuesday, September 26, 2006

accountability

I have been thinking alot lately...about alot of things...

I sat down with two very close friends last night and broke some barriers with them. As the three of us sat together last night, doing our usual "studying," the subject of accountability came up. One of them asked how come, even though we are amazingly close friends, we still can not seem to be 100 percent honest with one another about our struggles and our weaknesses.

The way my response easily rolled off my tongue scared me a little in afterthought. I quickly replied, "Because we are girls and we are evil. We think no matter who the other girl is, we are in competition with them."

Scary...but true.

Even if I trust someone immensely, I still feel incredibly threatened when accountability comes up. Because accountability requires honesty. And honesty requires trust.

But do I have any?

I said that some barriers were broken...and they were. After we agreed on the fact that this, though a true statement, was a stupid and petty one, I posed the question, "So what IS your biggest struggle or weakness right now?"

Silence overcame all of us. We avoided eye contact for what seemed like hours.

After some awkard giggles, one of us started...and each one of us followed.

It was incredible to be able to boast in my weaknesses, just as Christ says to do. Before we left, we decided that we would pray for each other. We each expressed one way that the others could pray for us throughout the week.

It truly was an incredible night. I left feeling humbled, uplifted, and encouraged. I had two other people that knew my struggles and I knew theirs. I knew I could be honest with them just like they could be honest with me.

Why did it take me so long to get to this point?

No comments: